In early 2017 following completion of the Planning and Environmental Linkages Study, the Lincoln/Lancaster County Railroad Transportation Safety District and City of Lincoln decided that prior to any major transportation investments, the subarea should be analyzed more comprehensively so that any transportation changes would align with the future vision of the subarea. To determine this vision, a community-consensus built subarea planning process is now being undertaken. The subarea planning process will analyze the following:
- land uses;
- utilities and infrastructure;
- transportation routes (transit, rail, bicycles, pedestrians, and automobiles);
- market-supported economic development opportunities;
- parks and open space enhancement opportunities; and
- aesthetic, urban design, market, and environmental conditions
The final Subarea Plan will address the opportunities, constraints, and issues discovered through analysis of the subarea’s existing conditions, incorporate the vision, goals, and guiding principles as determined during the extensive online and in-person public engagement process, and set forth land use and zoning, development and redevelopment, transportation, aesthetics and urban design, and sustainability recommendations.
The Subarea Plan will be created in conjunction with a Corridor Enhancement Plan to ensure Cornhusker Highway is functional and aesthetically pleasing. The Corridor Enhancement Plan will illustrate and describe the preferred Cornhusker Highway’s updated streetscape, touching on items such as site furnishings, landscaping, public art, lighting, and building setbacks.
Subarea & Corridor Enhancement Plan Goals
- Refine and Align Land Use and Zoning - Align land use and zoning regulations to allow for implementation of identified redevelopment and development opportunities
- Promote Economic Development - Identify key development and redevelopment opportunities for a variety of land uses within the subarea
Enhance Cornhusker Highway – Enhance Cornhusker Highway’s streetscape to entice economic development and define the character and quality of the corridor
Improve Mobility and Connectivity – Improve multi-modal mobility and connectivity across the rail corridor and throughout Northeast Lincoln for all modes of transportation
Build Champions – Identify and build up champions to carry the Subarea Plan and Corridor Enhancement Plan forward into implementation
Improve Safety – Eliminate or reduce the conflict points between trains, vehicles, pedestrians, and bicycles